Sunday, August 30, 2009

O May My Soul Commune with Thee

For this week the theme is "O May My Soul Commune with Thee."  Prayer is always a worthy subject to study and remember and re-learn.  The prophets have said that we must "Pray Always."  I have wondered what this could possilby mean and how could one always be talking to the Lord in prayer.  Today it occured to me that since prayer should really be a 2 part communication: talking and listening; one way a person could always be in an attitude of prayer, is to always be listening.
I taught my 4 year old's primary class in church today.  The lesson was talking about loving others and the lesson had an activity to teach the children to be better listeners.  We show love to others if we listen better to them.  My children remind me often that I'm not really listening, if I am not looking at them.  We have all experienced people who do listen well to us and people who don't and I would dare venture we like the first group of people a lot better.  If we love God, we should listen and learn how to listen.  How do we listen?

1 comment:

  1. Words from Aaron's talk have been running through my mind yesterday and today. I just love what he had to share. I loved the part where he said we must always have our hearts drawn out unto prayer and how when we do this we are guided and helped in every situation.

    When our hearts are drawn out--or open and turned to God, we are better able to hear-- to listen because our Father in Heaven speaks to our heart.

    In President Eyring's message in the August 09 Ensign he says "Our goal when we teach our children to pray is for them to want God to write upon their hearts and be willing to go and do what God asks of them." That has become my goal as I pray as well--to remember that it is a two-way communication, to draw out my heart unto Him so He can write upon it and then to go and do what He wants me to do.

    ReplyDelete