Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Oh, May My Soul Commune with Thee - Tuesday

Today I've been reflecting on our relationship with our Father in Heaven, and how that relates to prayer.  As Kim said in her comment  on yesterday's blog, that if our desires come first, we don't hear His answers as well.   Sometimes, as I habitually pray and take that relationship for granted,  I loose the feeling of tenderness. 
Sometimes as I, wait for answers to prayer, and wait again and wait some more, I do not feel validated by the Father.  It makes me feel like He isn't listening because I have to wait.   I do not like this feeling.  It is my tendency to say more dutiful prayers during this time than, heart felt prayers.  I don't mean to be a spoiled child, it is just hard not to feel mortal and a little hurt during the waiting,  and "be patient" times.
When inflicted with this impatient virus, I find worthy music a good antidote and remembering those tender mercies of the past.   Praying for understanding, looking for ways to serve others and counting those darn blessings.  Yes, it is hard to peal the pride from ones heart and be submissive.
I looked up all the lyrics to the hymn "Oh, May My Soul Commune with Thee."  I wish all my prayers were as sincere as this song.


Oh, May My Soul Commune with Thee


1. Oh, may my soul commune with thee
And find thy holy peace;
From worldly care and pain of fear,
Please bring me sweet release.

2. Oh, bless me when I worship thee
To keep my heart in tune,
That I may hear thy still, small voice,
And, Lord, with thee commune.

3. Enfold me in thy quiet hour
And gently guide my mind
To seek thy will, to know thy ways,
And thy sweet Spirit find.

4. Lord, grant me thy abiding love
And make my turmoil cease.
Oh, may my soul commune with thee
And find thy holy peace.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about sometimes having to wait to receive our answers. Whenever I think of this, I am reminded of the beautiful talk on prayer given at a past Conference (I could not find the exact talk this morning). In the talk we were told that at times when the answers do not come at the time we were hoping, we are then called upon to take a step in the darkness. Then, our Father will either confirm that what we have done is right or will correct us on our path.

    Your thoughts today also reminded me of my need to pause and listen during my prayers to hear what the Lord would say to me. In most if not all cases when I have remembered to do this, I have felt His love for me. It is as if our Father in Heaven is just waiting for opportunities to manifest His great love for us. Of all the things I need to learn and all the counsel I need to receive, how wonderful that Heavenly Father first feels to express His love for me personally. I know this is how He feels about all of His children.

    ReplyDelete