Monday, September 7, 2009

"Scatter Sunshine"

Growing up, I would often hear my mother singing or humming, songs. "Scatter Sunshine" was one of them. I thought it was just part of her being the positive person that she was. Now I believe it was her way of rebelling against the negative world around her, fortifying herself from fiery darts. If you don't believe me, that simple songs like "Scatter Sunshine" can do that, you should try it on a day that is approaching gloomy and see if it doesn't help.


I think one of the first times I remembered her singing "Sunshine" songs was when I worked in a dry cleaning place on an army base in Augsburg, Germany. It was hot, humid, oh and did I say Hot in the dry cleaning building. The building was big and not exactly air-condition friendly. All day I pressed army fatigues for 8 1/2 hours. The pay was pretty good but, what helped me get through was my mother's sunshine songs. They just started to come into my head as I worked making sure those funky pockets on those military pants were pressed just so.
The first day I was there, I had worn a long sleeved shirt. I didn't realize what I would be doing. There were a lot of women from the Middle-East who also worked there. They didn't speak English but, they noticed I was very uncomfortable. A couple of them found a "lost and found" t-shirt which they gave to for me to exchange and they always smiled at me. They scattered sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment